Point Aux Chene Kayak Rental Speckled Trout

Louisiana sheephead on a Mirrodine

We headed out to Pointe aux Chene Kayak rental to get on the hot winter time bite that its known for. It is the middle of December and many of my favorite spots are void of activity so we woke at 4AM to make it to PAC by sunrise. We left the launch and began fishing the main canal on the bottom with soft plastics after the first 30 minutes we only had 3 throwbacks. We realized that the weather wasn't cold enough to stack the fish in the deep canals so we moved up shallower throwing suspending baits in 6 inches to 3 feet of water. While drifting and throwing the Mirrodine I got a hit and lost a solid keeper trout this missed fish let me know I was on the right track. We kept moving down the shoreline and found a flat that was loaded with Specks almost every cast yielded a bite. Initially I struggled to land them loosing 6 of 8. Until I figured out that I needed give it a little more time before setting the hook. I then proceeded to ring up 20 in quick secession only a few throwbacks and 2 keeper redfish mixed in. I played catch and release the rest of the day. While I waited for Collin who also threw the Mirrodine and was able to catch a surprise sheepshead pictured above and about 15 speckled trout.

No comments :

Post a Comment